Quality Security Safety Health and Environment Policy (Quality Security Safety Health and Environment Policy)
The PTT Group Quality Security Safety Health and Environment Policy (PTT Group QSHE Policy) serves as an implementation framework for executives and employees within the organization as well as PTT Group companies. PTT implements the policy by setting targets, strategic plans/programs, work plans, and key performance indicators (KPIs) which are deployed from corporate level to Business Unit, Business Areas, divisions, and operational sites, respectively. The most senior executive of each company under PTT Group, together with the President and CEO of PTT, have signed an agreement to implement the QSHE management framework; to define the work plan and key performance indicators; and to monitor and assess performance against targets, strategic plans/programs, and work plans in order to assess compliance with PTT Group’s policy on a quarterly basis. Moreover, an audit is conducted at the corporate level as specified in the agenda.
Reference: PTT Group Quality Security Safety Health and Environment Policy
Long-term and Annual SSHE Strategic Objectives
PTT sets SSHE strategic objectives that respond to and comply with the corporate strategy including long-term objectives that cover 3 aspects:
Socio: Focus on reducing loss related to safety and health of employees, contractors and process safety
Eco: Reduce ecological footprint throughout the product life-cycle
Efficient: Improve the operational effectiveness to be ranked as a leader on an international level
The strategy implementation focuses on creating a QSHE culture and SSHE management system as tools for improving operational effectiveness and efficiency, while developing innovation and initiatives to ensure that the performance is in line with the defined targets as well as to reduce social and environmental impacts.
To transform commitment into action, PTT sets annual QSHE Goals by considering the internal and external factors that have impacts on operations and selecting key performance indicators as corporate targets. Each business unit must then set targets for the business areas and divisions as appropriate. The executives will be informed regularly of the results of monitoring and assessments against the targets.
PTT Group SSHE Management Standard (SSHE MS) is an important tool used to manage risk related to SSHE. All business units and PTT Group companies must implement the Standard as a management framework appropriate to the profile and risk of the business. Doing so creates a linkage between PTT Group QSHE Policy, management policy and regulation, and the procedures for each of the business units and companies. The management standard is developed in
accordance with the Plan-Do-Check-Act Principle, which leads to continuous improvement and is based on the international management standard comprised of 6 main elements. Each of the main elements can be summarized as follows:
- Policy & Leadership: communicating, and illustrating the commitment of the management in creating a clear culture for SSHE management as well as reviewing the effectiveness of SSHE performance
- Planning: Risk assessment, the coverage of law, SSHE assessment for mergers and acquisitions of new assets and projects, SSHE management related to the life cycle of products
- Engineering, Operations and Maintenance: SSHE risk management during the design, construction, testing, and operation phases operated by staff, contractors or sub-contractors; appropriate maintenance for machines and tools; and emergency and crisis preparedness and response in order to reduce and mitigate SSHE related impacts that may occur such as emission of pollution, wastewater drainage, waste management, etc.
- Performance Monitoring and Improvement: SSHE risk management during the design, construction, testing, and operation phases operated by staff, contractors or sub-contractors; appropriate maintenance for machines and tools; and emergency and crisis preparedness and response in order to reduce and mitigate SSHE related impacts that may occur such as emission of pollution, wastewater drainage, waste management, etc.
- Resources and Organization: Defining roles, responsibilities, and competency of staff as appropriate to manage SSHE issues effectively
- Culture, Communications and Information: Creating SSHE engagement, behavior and culture. Communicating internally and externally to interested stakeholders. Controlling the SSHE documentation and recordkeeping. All of these requirements have been developed based on the international standards, existing management system, best practice used by multinational companies in the power industry, and Thailand Quality Award (TQA), which are adjusted to match the nature of PTT Group’s operations.
Reference: PTT Group SSHE Management Standards
The SSHE Management Standard is the basic requirement for all PTT Group businesses. It is built on existing SSHE management based on the OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001 SSHE management systems that every business unit and operational area has already adopted.
Each business unit controls the implementation of the SSHE management system in the involved operations and departments so as to be in compliance with the SSHE Management System Manual as well as the defined procedures and methods. The effectiveness of the performance is monitored via internal audit procedures and verified by the executives at the operation level, business area and business unit as specified in the agenda.
PTT sets the framework and approach for governing, controlling, and managing the SSHE related performance of departments within PTT and PTT Group resulting in an effective performance that is aligned with PTT Group QSHE Policy and direction. Approaches for SHE Corporate Audit include:
1. PTT Group SSHE Management Standard
2. SHE Performance Audit
3. SSHE Legal Compliance Audit
4. SSHE Performance Assessment
5. PTT Group Engineering Standard Audit
6. Security Compliance Audit
7. SHE Performance Verification
Implementation of the Policy in Business Units and PTT Group Companies
PTT formulates policy for managing the implementation of the policy for business units and PTT Group companies based on the equity share basis. Companies in which PTT invests 100% or is the major shareholder must fully implement SSHE policy, target, strategy, and management standards.
PTT established the PTT Group QSHE Policy Committee and the PTT QSHE Committee, in which the highest executive in the operational division and related division and executives from the QSHE department serve to examine, govern, and review the effectiveness of the implementation of SSHE policy, strategy, targets, and SSHE key performance indicators in the business units and companies within PTT Group. The committee meets quarterly and the corporate SSHE
department serves as the secretariat. In addition, a special function has been set up which has the responsibilities for ensuring that SSHE management is aligned with the framework at every level of the corporate structure including the corporate, business units, operation level, and project level.
Performance Documentation and Reporting
PTT and PTT Group companies have worked together to improve the environmental and safety data collection and reporting system of PTT Group. By using the information system to improve the data collection system to serve as the environmental and safety database, this method facilitates systematic documentation to a common standard. As a result, PTT is able to compare the environmental and safety performance of similar business groups within PTT Group. The PTT
Group environmental and safety performance documentation and reporting is a web-based application to create a wider range of access for every business group. Protected by a security system, the web application is user-friendly and available to users from various operations of PTT Group both within and outside of the country.
Progress against plan
|Systematic implementation of the PTT Group Security, Safety, Health and Environment Management Standard (PTT Group SSHE MS)
||Promote and support capacity improvements for all operational functions in PTT. Maintain ISO Certification standards and conduct independent third-party audits.
||• All operational areas and PTT Group
companies successfully maintained ISO
Certifications for their SSHE
Management Systems, and carried out
improvements to remain updated on
revised ISO Standards, such as for ISO
• PTT Gas Separation Plant Rayong and
PTT Group companies (PTTEP, PTTGC,
TOP, IRPC, and GPSC), operated
according to the Operational Excellence
Management System (OEMS) as planned.
Operations at the Oil Terminal and
Natural Gas Pipeline successfully applied
the OEMS following their adoption of the
system in 2014 and 2015, respectively.
• All operational sites and
companies are able to
and improve management
systems in alignment with
any recent changes in
• Monitor and expand the
application of SSHE MS for
4 additional PTT Group
• Expand OEMS
requirements to cover
SSHE MS, in addition to
other relevant management
systems, in order to form a
standardized approach for
PTT Group. Improve
processes and application
mechanisms, and conduct
|PTT Group SSHE MS Audit by the Internal Audit Function every 3 years, based on the risk of each operational area/company
||Conduct SSHE MS audits and OEMS audits for 2 operational areas, PTT Tank and Natural Gas Pipeline.
||Completed audits for PTT Tank and Natural Gas Pipeline operations.
||Integrate SSHE MS audits into the OEMS as planned. |
|Compliance of SSHE database with international measurement and reporting standards
||Update the SSHE database to link with monthly electronic data of relevant state enterprises for increased accuracy in data collection and reporting.
||• Expanded data collection to cover all
operational areas, such as VOCs
emissions data from retail service
stations and aviation terminals. stations and aviation terminals.
• Improved the efficiency of web-
application tools for data collection to
ensure user-friendliness, faster speed of
performance assessments, leading to
improvements in internal management
• Collaborated with 4 state enterprises in
electricity and water utilities in linking
data from operational areas to data
accounts to allow for prompt and
efficient analysis of operational
• Encouraged SHE Performance Verification
to validate the initial completeness and
accuracy of data collection in PTT
operational areas and PTT Group
|• Expand data collection and reporting to new operational areas and companies. |
• Improve tools for data collection and reporting.